Top 10 Safety Tips for Trick Or Treating
1. Plan a route ahead of time for you and your kids to take. This way, you can make sure you stick to familiar areas. And if your kids decide to go by themselves, you’ll have an idea of where they are located.
2. When planning costumes, avoid things like clunky boots, heels, or too big capes and jackets. Make sure you shy away from anything that may cause stumbling or tripping on Halloween. Avoid masks that may obstruct vision, as well.
3. Be sure if your children are 12 and under, they are at least trick or treating with one adult.
4. Keep to sidewalks or paths when trick or treating. If you must walk on the street, walk facing traffic.
5. Make sure your trick or treaters have a flashlight handy, in case the sun sets before they are finished with your trick or treating.
6. Stick to houses with porch lights on.
7. Remind children to NOT enter into a home to retrieve their candy.
8. Remind kids to walk slow and not run while trick or treating. And be sure to be on the lookout for cars backing out of driveways or any oncoming traffic.
9. Once home, check through all your little one’s candy before letting them indulge in the goodies.
10. Discard homemade treats and sweets. Unless you personally know the person handing the treats out, it’s better not to risk it!